Adoption is an option worth considering.
Adoption is an option worth considering. We encourage you to give adoption a fair assessment and learn more about the adoption process from us. We can provide you with information on how adoption may work in your unique situation. Whatever questions you have about adoption we are here for you.
Below, you will find some information about adoption, but if you would like additional resources or referrals to adoption agencies in the Nashville area, reach out to us today to schedule an appointment.
Why Choose Adoption?
Adoption has changed a lot over the last couple of decades, giving birth moms more control of their situation and directly addressing their needs and wants during the adoption process.
There are a variety of reasons to consider adoption. Whatever the reason, each is valid, respected, and impactful. Adoption will not only allow you to provide your child with a family, but will also allow his or her adoptive parent(s) the opportunity to create or grow their family. Adoption is one of the greatest gifts that can be given, as you will give your child the opportunity to live a lifetime and create meaningful relationships.
As you can see, there are already some great benefits to choosing adoption. Here are a few additional reasons adoption may be right for you:
- Placing your child for adoption prevents the risks associated with an abortion
- If you are not comfortable with abortion but are not ready to raise a child or additional children, adoption is a life giving gift
- Adoption can provide peace of mind for you that your child is being raised in a prescreened adoptive family
- Adoptive families can provide a safe and loving home
- Adoptive families can offer the proper support system to raise your child
- Adoption can allow you to pursue education and career goals without changing your current course
- Adoption can prevent the financial obligations you would have as a parent
- If you feel your current stage of life is not healthy for a child, adoption gives you the ability to provide stability for your child
- Adoption will give you access to important services and resources, including professional counseling and support services
- Adoption may offer you the opportunity to stay in touch with your child through open or semi-open adoption
If any of these benefits appeal to you, adoption may be a good option for you and your child.
Types of Adoption
As mentioned above, adoption has changed recently to give more options to both birth mothers and adoptive parents. There are three main types of adoption now: open, semi-open and closed. Each type has varying levels of communication between the birth mother, the child and the adoptive parents.
Open adoption allows for the most communication between you, your child and your child’s adoptive family. This option allows information to be shared between you and the potential adoptive parents, so you can learn about each other and see if it will be a good match. This puts you in control of finding the perfect family to raise your child. It also allows for contact with your child after the adoption is complete. You may receive updates from the parents as well as communicate with your child on an agreed-upon basis via phone, text, email or in-person meetings.
A semi-open adoption is a mix of open and closed adoptions. Essentially, it may include less contact during the adoption process and little or no contact with your child after the adoption process is complete. You may know the adoptive parents’ first names and you may receive a photo here and there of your child, but communication is much more restricted in this process than an open adoption.
If you are seriously considering adoption, the Pregnancy Help Center can put you in contact with adoption agencies in the Nashville community. These agencies can walk you through the process and help you choose an adoption plan that’s right for your unique situation. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us to ask us any questions you have about adoption or any of your other pregnancy options.
"I was overwhelmed and thought I only had one choice. They didn't judge me at all and I felt so at ease, I felt like I could take a breath"
Pregnancy Help Center Client
"I was panicked and didn't know what to do. I went back and forth a lot of times and they always were there for me."
Pregnancy Help Center Client
Get in Touch
PO Box 110173, Nashville, TN 37222
The Unit has suspended in-person services as precaution due to COVID-19, but we are still available for consultation. Please contact us should you need assistance of any kind.